1/22/2009

Me and two million other folks witnessed history...

Part Three

“It's History, and you have never seen two million folks act so kind”
by Mike Reynolds

When I first considered going to the inaugural, I was pretty sure I'd be able to score a couple tickets, but it wasn't to be(No thanks to my local rep I volunteered/ interned for an entire summer for). I've been invited to the white house in the past and figured it would not be difficult, but it was quite impossible and after reading the ridiculous restrictions by security and talking to a few friends about access issues and everything, I was not entirely sure I was going to go down to the mall. The information I received from a close friend who did the second Clinton Inaugural really was very sobering in terms of the complete lack of accessibility. I had expressed concerns to several friends on various listservs and apparently, someone gave my information to an AP writer (who was absolutely incredible! Hi Gillian!) so on Thursday before the inaugural, I ended up quoted on several hundred websites around the world complaining about how backpacks being prohibited was a barrier to accessibility.

I skipped the free concert on the National Mall because it was cold, I didn't want to get too overtired, and the Disability Ball would already have me out late. Monday night, I tried to get to a performance of Les Miserables, but the shuttle I needed to take was not running and the crush of folks in the mall by pentagon city was pretty hard to take. I figured the only way I was going to make it to the mall was walking, I would have used a crutch if I had mine there, but I didn't, So I chilled out Monday night, woke up at 8:30 AM Monday to reports that the Metro was already crammed with people. But the crowds LOOKED HAPPY on TV, so I figured it would be ridiculous to miss such a historic event, But I also needed to stay safe. My phone was fully charged, a precaution as it nearly died while trying to get to Les Miserables. I meant to have a map loaded into my phone, but forgot, It would be useless as metro was randomly shutting down various stations. I signed up for the free text messenging service for notifications, but never got a single text. I emailed folks who I knew would wonder where I was if I didnt email to say I made it back by a reasonable time and I had a flight leaving a bit after 3 pm. My entire goal was to see the swearing in and rush out to catch my flight.

Tuesday was incredibly cold, I stopped at a street vendor and bought a hat and gloves immediately. My camera's batteries were drainng quickly due to the cold and I had meds and other essentials in my backpack and headed towards the mall. The bus I took to the Chinatown Metro stop was packed, but people were really in good spirits, there was this electricity in the air, it was really exciting. There were vendors everywhere selling really original unlicensed t-shirts, I probably would have bought one if I had the time, but I realized I had two heavy bags I needed to get back to Maine with and figured I could find one if I needed it on ebay. Then I figured I could always make my own if I made it onto the mall, or at least somewhere close.

I made it to the Chinatown Metro stop and went toward Judicary Square when I meant to go to Union Station. I thought I blew it, but I think I erred on the side of brillance. As soon as I got out of the Metro Station, I just followed the stream of the crowd. Appearently, I went through the 3rd St tunnel and was right by where the Silver and Blue ticket holders were going in. I glanced at my watch and the line – which went for several blocks and realized those folks probably were not going to get in to the ticketed area. I trudged south, figuring I might be fortunate to make it somehow into the line of sight of the Capitol, or see a Jumbotron.

I do not know exactly how I made it down to the mall , but it was probably a 30 minute walk before I realized I was near the Space and Flight Museum and saw the new Native American Museum. My friend specifically told me where the family restroom was, as it was accessible and usually really clean. Given the medical issues I have, I figured being near the museum was a good idea, and I remember seeing it was right in back of the ticketed area. Primo viewing area, but I honestly never thought I'd get THAT close. As for my view – it wasn't bad, I heard Aretha Franklin and Ithzak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma play John Williams new composition. I'm a huge closet classical music junkie and it was awesome to hear. I saw someone with a jacket from Maine, but she was too far away from me to hear. I heard the announce that Bill and Hillary Clinton were there and found folks to help me take a picture of my cousin's daughter's “Flat Stanley” Project. Flat Stanley is appearently a newer way for kids in the younger grades to use networking and see where their flat stanley's (a paper doll) can go to in the world. Before I received it – it was in Egypt at the pyramids – another relative went there for the holidays.

I will say I never felt more happy to be an American. I totally was overjoyed seeing President Obama being sworn in. I didn't hear the flubbed oath, I could not see anyone from where I was but I heard most of it. Five minutes past noon I knew I needed to get back to where I was staying to get my stuff and head to the Airport in Baltimore. My knowledge of Capitol Hill helped tremendously with the trek up past the Library of Congress and further – about a block north of Union Station – it was a half hour walk and I was truly surprised when the first cab that passed by as I was hailing a cab stopped for me. I tipped him well.

Overall it was one of the more incredible events I ever been to. I've seen the Grateful Dead in Vermont with a crowd estimated at a 100,000. This was actually far more mellower than that. The news reported there were no arrests from the ceremony, and I actually believe that it was because everyone was just in such great spirits. I think the best way to describe it would be part presidential inauguration, part civil rights march, part party for the end of the George Bush presidential era. In any event, I have had a smile pretty much the entire week since I was on the mall. My photos came out as good as could be expected without getting in the media area or being there from 4 AM. If anything, I feel proud to be a part of history, with a president I hope will bring the country into a new era. And I made my flight with a reasonable time to spare. Yes, Indeed, We Can.

No comments:

Post a Comment